Quilts As Decorative Wall Hangings
Quilts are made not just to be displayed on your bed, couch or chairs. They’re a work of art and deserve to be hung on the wall as well. In this blog, I'm going to show you how to prepare your quilt for a wall hanging. The following steps can be applied to quilts of all sizes. Mini quilt used in this tutorial measures 24” x 24”.
What you'll need
Backing fabric or fabric coordinating the back and / or quilt binding - a fat eighth (9” x 21”) or scraps
Quilt sandwich - quilted and squared up, without the binding attached
Ironing board or wool pressing mat
Quilt label (optional)
Prepared quilt binding
Wooden dowel - can be found at your big box or local hardware, arts and craft store
Sharp scissors (not for fabric) or handheld saw
- Take backing or coordinating fabric and cut two 5” x 5” squares. With the wrong sides of the fabric facing each other, fold each square diagonally in half and press with iron. Set aside folded squares for Step 3.
Tip: The larger the squares are, the more enforcement. The smaller the squares are, the less enforcement. Size of these squares will also be dependent on the size of the quilt.
- For additional enforcement, cut one 2½” x 7” rectangle. On each shorter end of the rectangle, fold the raw edges towards the center of the reverse side of the fabric twice. Press and sew to create a hem. Then fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and press.
Additional enforcement will be placed between the two folded squares prepared in Step 1. For larger quilts, repeat Step 2 accordingly for additional enforcement.
- As shown in the image below, pin each folded square and additional enforcement to the back of the quilt sandwich, and sew ¼” away from the raw edge.
Optional: Attach quilt label on top of one of the folded squares or preferred location.
- Attach binding to quilt using preferred method and trim loose threads.
- With a pair of sharp scissors or saw, trim the wooden dowel to the width of the quilt. Slide dowel through the additional enforcement and folded squares.
Hang and enjoy!